WELCOME TO FRIENDS OF CROHAM HURST WOODS
Please visit the “Events” page for details of an Open Day at South Croydon allotments in aid of the Friends.
Until 1901 the Hurst was owned by the Whitgift Foundation, but a proposal to build on it caused such public outrage that it was sold to Croydon Council.
Since 2002 Friends of Croham Hurst Woods have served the woodland in many ways:
- Helped the rare, endangered pale St John’s Wort by clearing 30 years of scrub
- Recreated the meadow shown on old maps
- Designed and funded the Information Boards
- Erected new benches
In addition, in 2012 we funded a major conservation project – the removal of one hectare of holly which had become too invasive. And we publish two newsletters a year which enables members to keep up-to-date.
As of February / March 2015 another tranche of holly was removed which opens up parts of the woodland to light, warmth and regeneration. The contractors are using a machine used in bog work to help protect the soil surface. Below is a picture of our Chairman Maria with the very large bog machine! In November/December 2016 another large tranche was removed so the woodland is looking much lighter and brighter.
The view from the top of the Hurst has also been opened up and many positive comments have been received. (Photo courtesy of Douglas White).
A not so sunny day in July 2018:
You can see more images on the tab “Fire 2018”.